Dyson makes eight models of air purifiers that all receive very high marks for owner satisfaction. But like most complex electronics, they can run into the occasional issue that requires a reset.
We’ll cover everything you need to know in order to reset your Dyson air purifier, regardless of which model you have. And we will show you how to do it without risking any damage to your Dyson (or your warranty).
And it will only take a couple minutes.
How To Reset Dyson Air Purifier
To perform a soft reset of your Dyson air purifier, open the Dyson Connect app and click on the settings (gear) icon in the top right. Tap on “Your Machine’s Settings” and select Reset. For a full factory reset, press and hold the power button on your machine for 30 seconds.
How To Reset Dyson Fan Filter Without Remote
If you have the Dyson app, resetting your air purifier is going to be a breeze (hey, I had to include at least one pun).
Try these steps to reset with the Dyson Link app:
- Open the Dyson Link app on your phone or tablet.
- If you have multiple Dyson air purifiers, make sure that the right one is selected by tapping on the three lines in the top left.
- Next, tap on the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Tap on Your Machine’s Settings.
- Select Reset.
This is the easiest way to reset your Dyson, but not the only way! If you don’t have the Dyson Link app or you’d rather use the remote, read on.
Reset Dyson Air Filter Indicator With Remote
If you’re seeing the flashing “F” symbol followed by three bars, it means that your Dyson air purifier needs a new filter.
This is the most common reason that you will need to reset your Dyson air purifier, and luckily it is also the easiest.
To clear the air filter indicator:
- With your Dyson turned on, hold the remote within a foot of the air purifier.
- Press and hold the power button for about six seconds.
- The display will change and show six small bars that will slowly disappear.
- The change indicator will clear and the display should go back to normal.
You may be wondering, “Why do I have to get so close to the air purifier?”
Well, Dyson is great at many things, but building a powerful IR remote is not one of them. Since you have hold down the power button, the signal needs to remain strong and constant or the air purifier will simply turn off.
If that’s what’s happening even after following the steps above, hold the remote even closer to the air purifier and point it directly at the screen.
Full Factory Reset Dyson Pure Hot + Cool
If your issue refuses to go away, a full factory reset may be your best option. This essentially “wipes” your air purifier’s electronics and sets them back to the way they were when you first unboxed it.
And if something has gone haywire with your WiFi settings, a factory reset is one of the methods that can clear them.
To reset your Dyson to factory settings:
- First, turn your Dyson on.
- Press the “Standby ON/OFF” button and hold it for about 30 seconds.
- A series of symbols may flash on your screen.
This process completely clears all settings and customization you’ve made to the air purifier. That makes it perfect if you are selling or giving your Dyson away, since it will remove any passwords or networks you’ve used.
But if you want to keep the Dyson after a factory reset, you’ll need to set it back up. To do so, simply connect it to your WiFi network and pair it with the Dyson Link app.
Full Factory Reset With The Remote
Make sure that your air purifier is turned on and then follow these steps:
- Hold the remote close to the air purifier and point it at the screen.
- Press and hold the power button on the remote and the air purifier at the same time.
- The display will change and show a countdown. Hold both buttons for ten seconds or until you see a check mark on the screen.
That’s it! You’ve reset your Dyson in about twenty seconds. The remote should work almost immediately, but you may need to re-pair your air purifier with the Dyson Link app.
How To Check Filter Life on Dyson Pure Hot + Cool
Just follow these steps to see how close your filters are getting to needing to be replaced:
- Press the info button on your remote (top right button with an “i”).
- Your screen will show you the various filters and the remaining time until they need to be replaced.
- You will see a screen with the filters on the left and two arrows on the right.
- Check the arrows to see how many hours of useful life remain in your filters. The arrows move up as the filter gets “full”, so the closer they are to the top, the sooner you will have to replace the filters.
- Press the info button again to dismiss the screen.
How To Replace Dyson Air Filter
The most likely reason you would need to reset your Dyson is because the filter reset indicator has come on (F with three bars).
But how do you do that? Well, not to worry. We’ve got you covered!
Replace Filter in the Dyson Pure cool link models:
- Turn the air purifier off and unplug it.
- Press the two buttons on the side of the air purifier and lift off the large loop section (Dyson calls this the “amplifier”).
- Lift the filter assembly off the main body of the air purifier and set it down.
- Pull the filter from the assembly by grasping it from the inside and lifting straight up.
- Throw away the old filter. These are NOT washable.
- Find the sensor hatch on the back of the main body of the air purifier, next to where the plug goes into the unit.
- Press on the white tab to open it and clean it carefully with a cotton swab or a small, soft cleaning rag.
- Put the sensor hatch back on. It should snap into place.
- Slide a new filter into the assembly and then put it back on the base of the Dyson air filter.
- Put the amplifier loop back onto the base. You should hear a light snap sound once it’s securely in place.
- Plug the air purifier back in and turn it on.
At this point, you may see an F symbol with the bars next to it. Follow the steps directly above this section to reset the filter indicator.
Replace Filter in the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool:**
- Turn the air purifier off and unplug it.
- Press the two buttons on the side of the air purifier. The outer cover should pop out slightly.
- Remove the outer cover to reveal the filters.
- Detach the filters that need to be replaced. The purple one is the HEPA filter, and the blue on is the carbon filter.
- Replace the old filter with a new one.
- Replace the outer covers.
- Plug the purifier back into the outlet and turn it on.
- Reset the HEPA filter life on your air purifier by pressing the Night Mode (moon-shaped) button on the remote for 5 seconds.
- Reset the Carbon filter life on your air purifier by pressing the Sleep Timer (clock-shaped) button and holding it for 5 seconds.
- If you want to reset BOTH filters, press the Night Mode and Sleep Timer buttons at the same time and hold them for 5 seconds.
- The screen will count down from 5.
How to deep clean your Dyson pure humidify + cool
The process for cleaning the humidifier Dyson’s is a little bit more involved.
Fortunately, the folks at Dyson made an easy-to-follow video showing you exactly how to run a deep clean:
Under normal conditions your Dyson should work flawlessly in the background, creating fresh, clean air. But sometimes you need to change the filter or the machine starts acting up, and that’s when a reset can be useful.
There are a few different ways to reset a Dyson:
- Reset it with the Dyson Link app
- With the remote
- Without the remote
- Full factory reset
- Reset the filter indicator
- Replace the filters